Here in Maine, we are living in a time of enormous opportunity. We can leverage our strengths to enhance our economy and create jobs while we simultaneously help to improve food security and health for all Mainers.
Interest in the health and economic benefits of locally produced foods is growing – both for our own consumption in Maine as well as for distribution further afield. Now is the time to link all our good work together, grow the Maine economy around food, agriculture and fisheries, and enhance access to Maine foods and employment opportunities for Maine citizens. The initiative is open to everyone and participants will collaboratively identify shared goals and strategies that support these opportunities.
Motivations for The Maine Food Strategy
- Increase production & economic activity in the food/farm/fishing sectors
- Take advantage of Maine’s position as a future bread basket for New England
- Increase health, nutrition & food security for all Mainers while decreasing societal costs of diet-related disease
- Create desirable, rewarding jobs throughout the food sector
- Maintain & enhance the natural resource base underlying a productive food economy
- Connect the good work of many groups across the state already underway
Solving Problems & Managing Risk
- Buffer against disruptions in national/global food supply due to weather or other issues
- Resolve infrastructure needs such as processing capacity and local distribution
- Address policies that slow down the development of our local food economy
- Build opportunities to add value to raw local products and increase job opportunities rather than simply exporting raw materials